Issue 34 of Garland will feature the street. This is the first in a series of issues: Together Spaces, reflecting the contexts where we assemble. Making spaces to come together is critical to meet the key challenges of our time.
STREET is for works in the public eye that stimulate shared interests, such as political causes, local identity and conviviality. A key feature will be illustrators working in community contexts, who are otherwise invisible in the art media.
The stories may include:
- An illustration practice that represents the street
- Work made to adorn the body or street in public
- Work that plays a role in a political struggle
- Unique street markets for the exchange of works
- Artful graffiti or stencil work
This issue will be published on 1 March 2024. You can find guidelines for submitting a story here. The deadline for stories is 1 February 2024. Please let us know in advance of your idea here. If you’d like to be a pathfinder and share the development of this issue, please send an email.