G26 – Objecthood: The relationship between things and their meanings
Things can function as powerful exemplars and guides. Like rocks in a swift current, even when they sit perfectly still, they shape the course of our experience.
Adamson, Glenn. 2018. Fewer, Better Things: The Hidden Wisdom of Objects. Bloomsbury.
Issue 26 in March 2022 will consider the value of objects. This is a space for exploring the relationship between things and their meanings.
- Why do we collect objects?
- How can we justify keeping objects when the world has too much stuff?
- Was the fetish unfairly demeaned by European colonialism?
- What alternative modes of craft practice do not involve the production of objects?
- Is anything lost when meaning is abstracted into information and data?
You can find guidelines for submitting a story here. The deadline for stories is 1 February 2022. Please let us know in advance of your idea here. If you’d like to be a pathfinder and share the development of this issue, please send an email
The image is from Ceramix: Dialogues in clay